Event tickets for the 2017 World Ski & Snowboard Festival (WSSF) are available for purchase online at wssf.com. With the Festival being nearly a month away, the countdown to the most anticipated party of the year starts now. WSSF celebrates all things mountain culture and perfectly showcases the resort’s diverse personality and energy.
WSSF will take place April 7 to April 16, 2017. Ticketed events include:
- The 9th Annual Invitational Roller Derby Bout, two roller derby bouts featuring Whistler’s Apex Pistols and Vancouver’s Smokin’ Laces and new this year, two of the top 10 men’s teams from the 2016 World Championships – The Vancouver Murder and Puget Sound Outcasts will compete in this year’s event. The bouts will take place in the Grand Ballroom at the Whistler Conference Centre on Saturday, April 8.
- Multiplicity presented by Mountain Life Media, a fundraiser for the Spearhead Huts Committee. Featuring unique presentations by some of the greatest storytellers and adventurers in the mountain kingdom. This event truly embodies the pillars of mountain culture and will take place on Sunday, April 9.
- Whistler Comedy Showdown, a packed line up of stand-up comics storm the stage at Buffalo Bill’s Bar & Grill on Tuesday, April 11 at 8:00 pm, featuring comics from all walks of life, from newbies to familiar faces, the night is guaranteed to be heavy on the laughs.
- The OLYMPUS 72 Hour Filmmaker Showdown, a creative collective of the masterful minds behind the lens. Filmmakers have to shoot, edit, and produce a three to five minute short film within a 100km radius of Whistler over the course of 72 hours. The shortlisted finalists will show their work in front of an audience of 1500+ on Wednesday, April 12 at the Whistler Conference Centre with $10,000 on the line.
- The OLYMPUS 72 Hour Filmmaker Showdown 2nd Cuts, a screening of all the completed films submitted for the OLYMPUS 72 Hour Filmmaker Showdown will take place at the Whistler Conference Centre on Friday, April 14.
- The OLYMPUS Pro Photographer Showdown, a signature WSSF event and the pre-eminent action sports photography event in the world. Four of the world’s best action sports and lifestyle photographers will be invited and flown in to Whistler to compete this year with no pre-submission required. The fifth spot will be reserved for a Wild Card Entry whereby any photographer from around the world can submit a 3-minute slideshow for review. All five photographers will showcase their work at the Whistler Conference Centre on Thursday, April 13 with the grand prize of $10,000 on the line.
- Intersection, a favourite event among Whistler locals, now in its seventh year. An action-sports filmmaking competition where ski and snowboard crews push the limits of their shredding ability and artistic vision. Five to seven teams will battle it out for $10,000 on Friday, April 14. More information about registration and tickets available at wssf.com/Intersection
- Silent Disco, happening at the Garibaldi Lift Company (GLC) on Friday, April 14. A party like no other, party-goers don a pair of headphones and choose from three DJs playing on three different channels and dance the night away.
- The END, the ultimate season-ending party where WSSF pulls out all the stops to wrap up the Festival with a bang. The party will be happening late night at the Whistler Conference Centre on Saturday, April 15. The END features electrifying DJs and sensory overloading sound and lighting systems.
- Best of the Fest, an overview of the highlights from the entire Festival, including the winning slideshows and films. Best of the Fest will take place at the GLC on Sunday, April 16.
The 2017 WSSF event schedule also includes a number of non-ticketed events, such as the State of the ART gallery open daily and Opening Party, Friday, April 7th, in the Grand Foyer of the Whistler Conference Centre, the International Freeski and Snowboard Association (IFSA) North American Junior Freeride Championships from April 7th to April 9th, the Monster Energy Boarderstyle Tour Finals, and free daily concerts at the Free Fido Outdoor Concert Series.
The World Ski & Snowboard Festival (WSSF) is produced by Watermark Communications, a Whistler‐based event production & communications company, and presented in partnership with Tourism Whistler and Whistler Blackcomb. Having grown over 22 years into the largest annual celebration of snow sports and music in North America, WSSF is a 10 day and night showcase of some of the best of mountain culture, music, arts and snow sports. Featuring the largest annual free outdoor concert series in Canada, ski and snowboarding competitions, photography and film showcases, and spring skiing at Whistler Blackcomb, the World Ski & Snowboard Festival is the poster child for the ultimate ski and snowboard festival experience. In blazing the way for the youth of tomorrow, the World Ski & Snowboard Festival embodies the mantra: ‘Party in April. Sleep in May.’